Chickpea and Feta Salad
Chickpea and Sweet Potato salad
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 1 sweet potato
- Fresh herbs
- Red onion
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh feta
- Crushed red pepper
- Cook the chickpeas according to directions. You want them “al dente” - cooked but still firm. Mine are a locally grown and dried heirloom variety. I soaked them in water overnight, drained them, and then boiled for roughly 15 minutes with a bay leaf, salt, baking soda and crushed red pepper. Once they were done, I rinsed them well with cold water, and pulled out a number of loose skins that had separated from the main kernel
- Cube sweet potato into ¼ inch cubes. Pan sear in a little olive oil and butter, tossing occasionally to caramelize all sides. I add a small amount of water in once caramelized to finish cooking. Be careful not to add too much water as you might get mushy potatoes which aren’t great for salad.
- Remove sweet potatoes from pan and let cool
- Dice red onion into very small pieces
- Toss sweet potatoes and chickpeas with a drizzle of olive oil to taste. I used around 2 tsp.
- Add red onion, and a pinch of kosher salt to the salad, toss to combine.
- Tear fresh herbs (I used a few basil leaves and a few marjoram leaves) and top salad with herbs, crushed red pepper and feta